Monday 16 January 2012

Six vie for women's No. 1 ranking in Melbourne

Seven months on from her first Grand Slam title, Petra Kvitova is closing in on another landmark at the Australian Open. Six players are vying to end the tournament with the No. 1 ranking, with Kvitova in pole position. Unlike most players though, it was never a childhood dream.
"Actually when I started to play tennis, I didn't think I would be a professional tennis player," the 21-year-old Czech said Sunday. "So for me to win Wimbledon, (the year-end) Championships, Fed Cup, it wasn't my dream. But it's very nice.
"If I maybe can be No. 1, it will be very nice, too, of course." Caroline Wozniacki currently holds the top spot, despite never winning a Grand Slam title. She must at least reach the fourth round at the Australian Open to have a chance of staying there. Victoria Azarenka, Maria Sharapova, Sam Stosur and Agnieszka Radwanska could also take the top ranking, but the No. 2-ranked Kvitova is the favorite. Being officially the world's best will mean more practice in dealing with the media for Kvitova, whose English has improved markedly since she won Wimbledon in July.
"I had a lot of press and a lot of media. I had to improve my English," she said. "I'm still little bit nervous, but it's much better."
Kvitova is still getting used to being one of the stars of the women's game. In her first Grand Slam after Wimbledon, she lost in the first round of the U.S. Open, but she recovered her form at the end of the year to win the season-ending tournament and help the Czech Republic win the Fed Cup.
"It's really strange for me," Kvitova said of dealing with the fame. "I'm already get used to (it). I mean, it's the part of our life. We have to live with this."July will mark the 10th anniversary of Lleyton Hewitt's last Grand Slam win, but he isn't yet ready to give up on winning the Australian Open for the first time.
A troublesome foot injury means the 30-year-old Hewitt's ranking has slipped to No. 186 and he needed a wild card to compete in Melbourne

No comments:

Post a Comment